RHONDA'S TWINKIE CAKE

Sometimes you just need a simple, quick dessert and this is one that works every time.

I got this recipe out of our family cookbook.

Rhonda Albertson, my cousin, I won't get into the once or twice removed stuff I'll just say my dad and Rhonda's mom, Regina are first cousins.

When I was a girl Rhonda was already married and lived across the field from us.

We spent a lot of time at her house and one of my favorite memories of her is the bike rides she would take us on.

We would start out from home there on Bear Creek, go to Martinsburg, down Dutch Creek Road, be on the highway for just a few feet and then turn onto Old Palmyra Road. We finished the ride by stopping at Frank and Regina's,  that's Rhonda's folks.

Which is worthy of a whole other blog, Frank and Regina's house was used as a stop off during the days of the underground railroad.

I remember going down in the basement and seeing the place it had long been walled up but you could still see the place where it was, their farm was mentioned in our history books at school because of this and of course I thought that was big stuff.

So now, I guess you see why  when I make this cake I think of Rhonda,  and how she loved to work outside, you would find Rhonda in a hay field sooner than you would in the kitchen, she loved and still does love sports and outdoor work.

I never asked her but I'm thinking that might be why she shared this one,  it's easy yet good.

You, like Rhonda used to do,  can make an impressive dessert and still have time to get to the game or get the last of the hay unloaded.

I know it's a common recipe, one you may already have, but if not give it a try,  I think you will enjoy it.

TWINKIE CAKE

1 yellow cake mix baked as the package directs,  (see I told you, easy peasy)

If you use a 9x13 pan for a real twinkie look slice the cake into lengthwise, and spread the filling on the bottom layer and lay the other layer on top.

I just made a round cake because it's easier for me to store.

Filling,  (let's face it, this is the important part)

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup Crisco (solid)
1 stick butter (real butter is best)
1/4 cup milnot

You can store in fridge and I do but I like to set it out and take the chill off before I serve it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS